Friday, March 9, 2012

Book Review: Born Wicked

Title: Born Wicked
Author: Jessica Spotswood
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Pages: 330
Stars: 4/5
Sypnopis: Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they're witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship--or an early grave. Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with six months to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother's diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family's destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate stars scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra. If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren't safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood -- not even from each other.

Review: I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction, I'll admit that freely. However- I absolutely loved Born Wicked. The Premise amazed me. It had a very Salem feel to it and you could imagine things so clearly.

Everything about this book seemed almost fairytaleish but that isn't a bad thing. I loved Finn he was amazing right through. I also loved Paul for a short time and I felt slightly bad for him however Cate was amazing. I'm not so sure about Maura but I loved Tess as well. Those two I loved Maura had a little bit of Middle Child Syndrome I think in a way. But they still found ways into my heart (and do I really have to wait until next year to read what happens after that cliff hanger? Seriously?)

The only thing I felt that let go this plot was that it was a bit too slow in places. But I still loved this book and can't wait for the second one in the series.




Bookfever
Also Bookfever is hosting an awesome contest- check it out if you get the chance :-)

2 comments:

Eleanor said...

Hi, I found you blog on goodreads and decided to follow :) I've also just added this book to my to-read list, it sounds really interesting! I do love a good book about witches and I already have a feeling that I'm going to get pretty fond of Finn...

Syikana said...

Thanks, It's an awesome book and I just want to hug Finn. I think you will too once read :-)

Post a Comment